Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Covergirl LipPerfection Lipstick in Taylor Swift Red Review

FACT: I'm obsessed with Taylor Swift.

Justification: I am aware that I'm 24 years of age but I just don't care, her songs are catchy and continuously successful and she oozes glamour and class (despite being associated with half of Hollywood's bachelors) and she sponsors fantastic products. I'm in love with her new perfume (which I'll talk about some other time) but for now lets focus on the new look she's been sporting for the last year in the run-up to her new album RED. She's straightened her hair into smooth waves, and taken to black eyeliner and bold red lips. Being the face of Covergirl, she's paid to wear their products and interviews regularly cite the Covergirl LipPerfection Lipstick in Hot (305) which apparently sits in her bag permanently. Note: Hot is sold as Hot Passion in Australia

Photo courtesy of www.clevvertv.com

So never mind the fact that I think red lips make me look like a tramp and I have nothing (beauty wise) in common with Taylor Swift considering I've got Olive skin, Brown-Black Hair and a completely different facial structure...I had to have it.

Here's my take on the product after the jump...



Packaging
For a drug store lipstick, it's very sleek and attractive, you can make up your own mind from the photos


Formulation
Smooth and moisturising without looking shiny/glossy. This lipstick is easily applied and worn however if you're looking for a matte red, this may not be for you

Colour
Great colour payoff, intense bright RED. It's really hard to describe the type of red as I think it sits right down the middle between orange and blue in the spectrum and is just a great bold iconic red.

Swatch of Covergirl LipPerfection Lipstick in shade HOT

- I think it honestly depends on your stance on red lipstick, my friends all claim that I should wear it but I believe it only looks good on paler skin tones as it's a strong contrasting colour. Here's a lip swatch comparison of me vs my friend Sammy.

Colour Comparison - L/Sammy: pale vs R/Alina: tanned

Longevity
- FANTASTIC. I admit, I didn't think this colour suited me so I asked Sammy (a frequent wearer of red lipstick) to wear it out to dinner the other night in order to properly test out the lasting effect.

She kept updating me throughout the night on the wear of the lipstick:
  1. 6pm: great intense colour
  2. 7pm cocktails: noticed a tiny bit of lipstick staining the straw but no noticeable wearing off on the lips
  3. 8pm dinner: starting to wear down in the centre of the lips however the outer edges all still bright and intact
  4. 9pm bathroom time! decided to reapply before dessert but not really necessary (the rest of us at the table couldn't tell any fading) 
  5. 11pm home: now looking about 80% as good as when first applied, required face wipes to remove (couldn't get it off with just water)
  6. 8am next day: lips still stained red and required washing again to remove all traces of last night's lipstick
Overall Impression
Great bold red lipstick in an iconic shade, with great moisturising properties and long lasting colour.
Only pitfalls are if you prefer matte finish or are planning a different lipstick look later in the day as it does stain your lips for an extended time.

If you're curious how it looks on dark skin/hair types, look out for my FOTD (face of the day) post from a few weeks ago to make your own assessment.

x Alina/Sparkle

Want to see our updates? Follow us on blogger | Follow us on bloglovin' | Follow us via RSS

6 comments:

  1. Do you think you might look better with orange-based reds, rather than blue-based reds? That one looks like a blue-based one! (Is it sad that I'm commenting on our own blog? Haha I think it's ok... it's ok, right?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had this problem when I was writing it to figure out whether it was blue-red or orange-red but it lies right in the middle and I'm not sure the photos really convey the true colour but that being said, my fav Too Faced dark red is very much a blue based so there goes that theory.

      Delete
    2. Also, it's not weird/sad/etc. We're in different countries. It's totes legit

      Delete
  2. Wow, sounds like it has terrific staying power! It's a great red - I wish I were brave enough to wear a red lip but I never seem to be confident about pulling it off. I'm a fan of Taylor Swift as well, have all the albums and love her new look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Q: Does it bleed, though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have a problem with bleeding, but if u accidentally swipe your lips it will stain the area around your lips and not go away...I'd use a lip liner just in case

      Delete